Dedicated to Medieval and Renaissance art, the Museo Nazionale del Bargello is located in Florence’s historic Palazzo del Podestà. It was established by royal decree on June 22, 1865—Italy’s first national museum.
From the moment of its foundation, the Bargello’s collection brought together some of the most important works of Renaissance sculpture: masterpieces by Donatello, Luca della Robbia, Andrea del Verrocchio, Michelangelo Buonarroti, and Benvenuto Cellini, drawn largely from the Medici-Granducal collection. Subsequently, the museum’s holdings were enriched with superb examples of bronzes, ceramics, waxes, enamels, medals, ivories, tapestries, seals, and textiles, some from the Medici collections and others from suppressed convents or private collectors. In 1888, Louis Carrand, an antiquarian from Lyon, made one of the most important donations, bequeathing to the Bargello his collection of more than 2.500 paintings and works of decorative art.
A visit to the museum unfolds across the building’s three floors: on the ground floor, visitors may admire the enchanting panorama of the palazzo’s courtyard and the Sala di Michelangelo (Michelangelo Room), filled with sculptures by Michelangelo, Cellini, Giambologna, and Bartolomeo Ammannati.
On the first floor, the visit continues through the impressive Sala di Donatello (Donatello Room), home to the Florentine artist’s most famous works—David, Attis, Saint George, ‘Marzocco’ (the emblem of the city of Florence—a lion bearing a shield with the fleur de lys)—as well as Luca della Robbia’s tin-glazed ceramic sculptures, and Ghiberti and Brunelleschi’s bronze tiles for the famous competition to design the doors of the Florence Baptistery. Subsequent rooms house the collections of Islamic art from the Carrand donation, the Chapel (with the oldest known portrait of Dante Alighieri), the Sala degli Avori (Ivory Room), the Sala del Trecento (‘Fourteenth-Century Room’), and the Sala delle Maioliche Italiane (Italian Ceramics Room).
The last floor houses the world’s most important collections of masterpieces by Andrea and Giovanni della Robbia, the Sala dei Bronzetti (Room of Bronzes), the Sala di Verrocchio (Verrocchio Room), the Sala del Medagliere (Medals Room), and the Sala dell’Armeria (Arms and Armors Room), displaying arms and armor that survived the dispersion of the Medici Armory.
With the recent reforms of the Ministero dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali e del Turismo, begun in 2014, the Bargello Museum became an autonomous entity, as well as the leading institution of a consortium that includes four other Florentine museums: the Medici Chapels, Palazzo Davanzati, Orsanmichele, and Casa Martelli.
ACCESSIBILITYMuseo Nazionale del Bargello
To access the upper floors and the services people with disabilities can use the elevator on the ground floor (temporary exhibition halls).
RestroomS The restrooms are located to the left of the grand staircase leading to the upper floors.
ACCESSIBILITY The museum is equipped with access devices for people with disabilities.
The sidewalk is connected to the walkway; the rooms of the museum are accessible, raised thresholds are mediated by means of ramps (some are steep but museum staff is on hand) and the elevator. Other raised thresholds are mild.
The Michelangelo Room (Sala di Michelangelo) can be accessed from the bookshop.
Bathrooms also located on the second floor.
Visit the MIBACT web site for FREE ADMISSION and reduced-price tickets: click here
Tickets may also be purchased ONLINE: B-Ticket is the only official website authorized by MIBACT for online ticket purchase for the Museo Nazionale del Bargello and its affiliate museums (Museo delle Cappelle Medicee, Museo di Palazzo Davanzati or Museo dell’Antica Casa Fiorentina, Museo di Orsanmichele, and Museo di Casa Martelli).